VCA-DT

Yesterday I finished taking the VCA-DT exam at a Pearson Vue test center. Somehow I thought this test would be easier as there were some tough ones there. I passed though. đŸ™‚
My recommendations for studying for this exam is to focus on the Admin guide and get lots of hands on with View setups.
Next I need to wait for the results from the VCP-DT beta exam I took 9 weeks ago đŸ™‚

SSO timeout in VMware View

While browsing the View MGMT guide, like I do every coffee break đŸ™‚ I saw this this nice feature that should be regarded as a critical config in all View enviroments.

When View users use the software View client the screen locks after 15 min, but anyone can disconnect the client and reconnect and voila, their desktop is unlocked and free for browsing.

This setting in View is the Single-Sign-On timeout, so after the time out period the user needs to sign in again.

So here is what needs to be done: Edit the LDAP directory with a edtior (ADSI Editor).

Change the pae-SSOCredentialCacheTimeout value, and it is set to minutes:

-1 = never timeout

0 = disable SSO

Anything greater then 0 is the amount of minutes that the Connection Server waits until the credentials timeout.

Broken GBIC = 70.000 ms latency

I was working on a strange problem the other day.
One of my customers had a VM that was unusually slow partitioning a disk. When the partition table was being build the performance tab in vCenter showed spikes in Datastore latency up to 70.000 ms, thats only about 11 minutes between writes…
Also any attempts to move machines of the datastore, or any datastores that was on the path with broken GBIC, resulted in errors and crazy latency spikes.
The ESXi logs showed no apperent errors, the storage subsystem had no errors and nothing was “visually” broken. Our storage specialist finally found out that is was a faulty GBIC, not broken, but just not functioning correctly.

Update: The machine that had the high latency had some ghost snapshots, that did not appear in the Snapshot Manager, and it seems as they had not been deleted because the deletion of the snapshots timed out. After the GBIC had been replaced I created a new snapshot and then deleted it and all the snapshots (7 total, 110 gb data) were merged into the vmdk.